Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Painting in a series

I attended a workshop this summer in Wyoming taught by mike bailey www.mebailey@ Comcast.net. On the first day of the workshop we were shown 20 second images of around seven objects and were told to do fast sketches of each of the objects. After sketching all seven or so we were asked to compose a painting from 3-4 of the objects we had seen. After we completed the painting we were told that this composition would be the basis of all our paintings for the entire week.  Each day we applied different elements - line size shape direction value color texture - and the  8 conditions - unity harmony dominance conflict repetition variation gradation and balance.
We.managed to complete a painting in the allotted time of 90 minutes, which included drawing our value sketch. Mike had previously completed a series of over 100 paintings using the exact same composition and had learned so much about who he was as a painter that I became very interested in trying a series myself, on a much.smaller scale. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with over 100!!


When heather my sister and I got back from the class at LCCC we sat down and spent the day drawing out 21 value sketches using 7 elements of design with light midtone and dark dominance.
She had to go back to California but we made a pact to finish each painting in a timely manner and send the finished pieces via email.  I will be posting the series here daily with my comments.  My objects or shapes consisted of a bonsai tree in a wooden planter box  sunflowers and vase. Already I am learning from this project and my "shapes" are changing each time I experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment